The Culinary Institute of America

  • GI Bill Benefits: Financing Your Education

    You may know of The Culinary Institute of America's (CIA) proven college degree programs in culinary arts and baking and pastry arts. What you may not be aware of are the advantages available to those of you who are making the transition from military life to a new career.

    The Post-9/11 GI Bill. Under this bill, veterans' undergraduate tuition & fees would be paid directly to the school in which they enroll. Maximum tuition and reimbursement rates information can be found online. These limitations also apply to transferee spouses of active duty servicemembers. More information can be found by visiting the GI Bill website.

    Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements are as follows:

    • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.
    • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
    • You are a dependent who is eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

    Veterans who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the maximum benefit rate are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program as are military dependents who receive their education benefits through the new GI Bill's transferability provision. For more information, please contact Eric Jenkins, Admissions Counselor, at 845-451-1484 or

    Transferring GI Bill Benefits to Dependents

    If you were a member of the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009 and eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. Commissioned officers of the Public Health Service (PHS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are also eligible for the transferability option.

    To be eligible for transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to dependents a member must have at least six years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agree to serve four additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election. For those members unable to agree to serve the required additional service, they may still be eligible to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their dependents. For addition information on transferring benefits to dependents view the Post-9/11 GI Bill website.

    eBenefits. This portal is a central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and, in time, manage their benefits and personal information. eBenefits offers a personalized workspace (My Dashboard) that provides quick access to eBenefits tools. Using eBenefits tools, you can apply for benefits, download your DD 214, view your benefits status, in addition to other actions as needed. This workspace is available to you once you have created an eBenefits account.

    MHA/BAH. The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance prescribed by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. Housing Allowance (MHA) payments you receive for the Post-9/11 GI Bill are based on the military's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates for an E-5 with dependents. Department of Defense adjusts the military BAH rate every calendar year (or January 1). Visit The Basic Allowance for Housing online for more information.